Definition
Search

  Búsqueda alfabética
 
Search by Word

Search by Topic

Glossary of Terms >



[Login]

Term Genetically modified organism (GMO)
Definition

Any organism that possesses a new combination of genetic material obtained through the use of modern biotechnology. They are also called living modified organisms (LMO) or transgenic organisms.

Currently the most common transgenic crops in the food industry are soybeans (tolerant to herbicide glyphosate) and corn (resistant to borer insects). Soya, corn and cotton represent more than 95% of the area planted with transgenic crops throughout the world, with almost all of the remaining 5% dominated by transgenic canola.


Additional Information
PhotoGenetically modified organism (GMO)
Topic  BiodiversityForest resourcesLegal and InstitutionalEnvironmental managementEnvironmental pollution